Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday Morning

Last night, I ran across a sign error in one of the force equations. Once I fixed it, I still had issues with the ribbon. There was also a velocity dampening equation used when time is less than zero that I added.

One of the differences between my implementation and its source was the number of points used to represent the ribbon. I had increased the size by a factor of ten, and had modified the constant used to control all of the ribbon loops by the same amount. I decreased the number, all the way back to its original value, and the ribbon held, with sane numbers and without breaks.

I played with the number of points, and can induce the ribbon to start breaking once I exceed a certain size. I increased the quell time to see if that would help the problem, but it did not seem to, even when I increased the quell time to forty hours. I don't know if I am hitting a memory problem, or whether I still have a bug in the equations.

I need to repeatedly run the model under the same conditions, to verify that the ribbon is breaking in the exact same point at the exact same time. If it isn't, then there is some factor that is being intruduced that is affecting the math run to run.

No comments: