Thursday, June 5, 2008

Debugging the Sim

I'm working at debugging the simulation.

I discovered that I had neglected to increment the current time variable, and once I did, the ribbon started fragmenting. It turned out that I had made a typo in the equation to compute the loading on a ribbon segment as the forces are propagated. This caused the computed loading on every segment to be too high, and tripped the ribbon break code.

With that bug fixed, the next problem is that the next-to-last segment of the ribbon breaks in the first iteration. The last segment remaining on the cable snaps for the next four iterations, the loads building, and then the ribbon snaps off near the ground and starts to disintegrate. I need to check the boundary conditions on the ribbon (what happens as the sim approaches the end of the ribbon) to solve the first problem, and then walk through the original code versus my implementation to see what I missed or messed up to cause the subsequent problem.

For now, I have disabled the climbers and code to compute the effects of the climbers to simplify the debug of the ribbon. One of the equations that I need to look at is computing the motion of the elevator along individual ribbon segments, and how it transitions to other segments.

No comments: