Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thowing Exceptions

I had a hard time sleeping last night, and have had a rough day, and am wrapping things up for the evening.

On my daily walk around the tech campus where I work, I puzzled through the last of the complex climber dynamics routine. I convinced myself that what I was working on was valid physics (which doesn't mean that it is correct, only that I am currently convinced that it is correct). The forces on the climber are based on point dynamics (which handles gravity, centripetal force, and centrifugal force) and those that come from being spliced into the ribbon. The complex ribbon dynamics routine changes the amount of tension 'above' and 'below' the climber over time, which is what causes the ribbon to move the climber.

I finished my first cut at the climber algorithms. The initial coding is for a single climber, and the climber can only ascend right now (mainly due to how I handled edge conditions when transitioning between segments). I'm also concerned about how the climber brakes when past GEO, that what I have won't be up to snuff for that.

The first few tests are throwing exceptions right now, so I need to pull up the debugger and determine what I've missed tomorrow evening.

1 comment:

renton42 said...

Hi Tom! I wanted to wish you luck on developing your simulation. It sounds very exciting!

Matt

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/space-elevator/